Make it Yourself – Vegan Broth Powders

Anyone who cooks dinner at home on a regular basis sooner or later runs into this problem – what to use for broth? I finally became disgusted with searching for just the right product with no luck, and  now make my own broth powders, but the road thus far has been filled with experiments. Over the last 30 years my “broth journey” has included:

• Making my own chicken and vegetable broth from scratch, just like my great-grandmother did! Result – great product but very time consuming.
  • Purchasing chicken bouillon. Result – little flavor, full of salt, fat, and not much else – convenient though!
  • Became a vegetarian which limited my broth options. Started buying vegetable broth in a carton. Result – expensive, salty, and almost taste-free.
  • Opted for low-sodium vegetable broth. Result – still taste-free and turned all my meal creations an unappealing shade of brown.
  • Found vegetable and vegan bouillon cubes at the health food store! Result – still salty with lots of trans-fats.
  • Moved on to vegan chicken and beef broth powders. Result – either salty and fatty or basically a colored flour concoction – with no flavor.

Since part of my “day job” is to design healthy foods, I figured I could develop my own healthy, FLAVORFUL broth powders. Here are the recipes I now use. Each recipe makes about 1/4 cup or 12 servings (1 tsp powder per 1 cup boiling water). I don’t add any cheap flavor enhancers like corn syrup solids, autolyzed or hydrolyzed anything, no MSG, no hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated (trans-fats) anything and only a little salt to brighten the taste. I increased the meatiness (savory flavor not meat taste) by adding all-natural ingredients like tomato, molasses, mustard, cabbage, nutritional yeast and balsamic vinegar. The potato flour keeps the broth powders free-flowing.

Vegan Chicken Broth Powder

1 Tbsp each: potato flour and nutritional yeast

1 tsp each: onion powder and salt

1/4 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp celery powder

1/2 tsp white pepper

1/2 tsp turmeric

2 – 2 1/2 tsp mixed herbs. Use herbs associated with chicken dishes like parsley, oregano, thyme, sage, rosemary, etc.

Vegan Beef Broth Powder

1 Tbsp each:  potato flour and molasses powder

1 tsp each: balsamic vinegar powder and onion powder

1/4 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp each: salt, celery powder, mustard seed powder, and white pepper

2 tsp mixed herbs. Use herbs associated with beef dishes like parsley, rosemary, thyme, etc.

Vegan Vegetable Broth Powder

1/2 Tbsp each: potato flour,  nutritional yeast, tomato powder, and cabbage powder.

1 tsp onion powder

1/4 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp each: salt, celery powder, and white pepper

2 1/2 – 3 tsp mixed herbs. Use your favorites like basil, oregano, dill, etc.

Here are some other interesting vegan broth powder recipes too:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About the Author

Renee Pottle, an author and heart-healthy educator, loves to explore and write about the Mediterranean Diet. She blogs at SeedToPantry.com and HestiasKitchen.com.

Comments (14)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Heather M. says:

Thanks! I will try a couple of these.

2. Wendy says:

Dude, this is amazing. I never knew this world of flavor existed, no wonder my previous attempts at Vegandom have failed! I am imaging the Chicken flavor with my homemade Seitan simmering away. Yum!

(Thanks a million, can’t wait to try them all!)

• Wendy, sounds good! I have started making double batches of both the ChickN and Vegetable broth powders because I use them so much. I am glad it works for you. And kudos for making your own seitan – I haven’t gotten there myself yet!
      Renee

3. […] 6 cups vegetarian chicken broth (I used this recipe) […]

4. Geoff Pape says:

Hi. Your recipes look great. I’ve searched for balsamic vinegar powder & molasses powder and I haven’t found anyone who sells it in less than 120kg (molasses powder) and 15kg for balsamic vinegar powder. Would you please tell me if you know somewhere I can get these ingredients in smaller quantities? Perhaps in 1kg bags. Thanks.

5. Garry says:

First, thanks for taking the time to post these, and also for the recommendation to Myspicer.com. I’ve been a vegetarian for a couple of years (the world’s worst vegetarian) and am now wanting to eliminate animal products, so I’m grateful for those that have blazed the path before me.

Second, is potato flour the same as potato starch, as found on Myspicer, or something else? If something else, do you know where I might find it? Whole Foods?

• Garry, good for you! To answer your question, no, potato starch and potato flour are different things. You can find potato flour at a health food store and probably at Whole Foods (we don’t have a Whole Foods store within 200 miles so I am not sure of all their products). However, you could try using potato starch in this recipe. The potato flour is used to keep the powder from turning into a solid mass, so potato starch should work the same way – in theory! Best of luck to you.

Renee

6. Richard says:

By “celery powder” do you mean powdered celery seed or powdered dried green celery?

• renee@seedtopantry.com says:

Richard, I use powdered dried green celery. You could try celery seed powder, starting with a small amount so the flavor isn’t overwhelming.

• Richard says:

Thanks. I actually had already made your “chicken” mixture with celery seed powder and it is much better than the McKay’s that I had been buying which, by the grams of sodium listing on the nutrition panel, must be at least 25% salt.

Then, I thought to myself, “She really didn’t say celery SEED powder, did she, Richard?” So, I’m gonna throw some celery in the dehydrator tonight.

7. Araina says:

Renee, Thanks so much had to have some vegan chicken broth in a pinch & this is amazing going to share with my friends tomorrow.

%d bloggers like this: