Sourdough Saturday – Best Ever Oatmeal Bread

It’s difficult to find a true sourdough oatmeal bread recipe. Most oatmeal bread recipes are for either straight doughs (using dried yeast) or for recipes that use a combination of sourdough starter and yeast. So I ended up creating my own recipe. And it is a winner! Sorry – I try to be humble but this bread was so good that I ended up making two large loaves in one week. I’d like to say that the whole family was over but that would be a lie. My husband and I ate both loaves ourselves. It really is that good. So I can’t tell you how long this bread lasts before it dries out or gets moldy because it didn’t hang around that long in my house. I bet it won’t in yours either.

Start by mixing the following ingredients in a large bowl or your stand mixer.

• 2 cups sourdough starter
  • 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups rolled oats (either old-fashioned or quick)
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 Tbsp honey
  • 1 – 1 1/4 cups lukewarm milk

Combine until a loose dough forms. Cover and let sit 30 minutes.

Knead dough 5 – 10 minutes or until dough is smooth. The dough will still be quite wet. That’s ok if you are using a stand mixer. If you are kneading by hand you my need to add a little more flour to keep the dough from sticking. Just add as little as possible as we want to keep this a soft dough.

Place dough in a greased bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place, about 2 hours.

Shape dough and place in a large greased loaf pan. Cover and let rise for an additional 1 – 1 1/2 hours.

If you are using a regular metal or glass loaf pan bake at 375 degrees for 50 – 55 minutes or until the interior reaches 200 degrees (I use my trusty digital thermometer for this). If you are using an unglazed terra cotta pan (like I do, shown above) follow the directions that come with the pan. For example, I soak the pan in water for 15 minutes and then place the bread in a cold oven, set the temperature to 475 and bake for about 50 minutes.

When done, remove from pan and let cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting. This is important to let the crumb set so you will get nice even slices.

As I noted above, this recipe is the “best ever.” I have made hundreds of sourdough breads and this is by far my favorite. It’s a great combination of of whole grains (oatmeal) without being heavy, a nice light but well-textured bread, with the extra tangy flavor of sourdough.  What about you? What is your favorite sourdough bread?

Check out some of these other great sourdough recipes too:

Cinnamon Roll Pancakes at Rural Spin

Sourdough English Muffins: JuJu’s Kitchen

Lots of great recipes over at the Wild Yeast blog, Yeastspotting:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About the Author

Renee Pottle, an author and heart-healthy educator, loves to explore and write about the Mediterranean Diet. She blogs at SeedToPantry.com and HestiasKitchen.com.

Comments (26)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Karen says:

I recently made a sourdough starter and have been looking for different recipes. I really like the sound of the oats in this, so this will be the next recipe I make! Thanks 🙂

• Karen, I hope you love it as much as we do here! The only down side – this sourdough oatmeal has ruined my taste for regular oatmeal bread. It just seems so blah now. Let us know how your loaf turns out!

2. Sarah says:

Love, love, loved this recipe!! I used the lidded pot from my crock pot and it worked beautifully. The family I made this for was astounded that it looked exactly like your picture and the taste was divine. I love oatmeal breads and this was perfect to use my sourdough starter. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

• Sarah, I’m so glad you enjoyed it. What a great idea to use the crock pot pot!

• Siobhan says:

Do you think I can use a banneton and cook it on a stone? How would I adjust the heat in that case? So delighted to find an all wild yeast oatmeal bread recipe! Thanks

• Siobhan, using a banneton and cooking on a stone should work out great. I would bake at 400 – 425 degrees for about 25 minutes (if you make this recipe into 2 loaves, one loaf will take longer) or until the internal temperature is somewhere between 200 – 210 degrees. Let us all know how it turns out – I’m sure it will be great!

• Siobhan says:

The bread was already in the process when I wrote, so I saw your kind response too late for this batch. Unfortunately I did not follow my instincts and located a rather unsuitable pan, cooking at the lower temperature. I fear it was a rather a homely loaf, but it still tasted terrific. My daughter, home for grad school and a fine baker, just made a whole wheat Tartine loaf, so when it is consumed, I will try again. My thanks for the suggestions. I will let you know the results. Cheers!

• Siobhan, the best thing about baking bread is that even when it doesn’t turn out the way we want, it still tastes great!

3. Mary says:

I wonder if you could clarify – when you say oatmeal, you mean prepared oats, correct? Not rolled oats? I think of oatmeal as the prepared cereal. Thank you!

• Mary, sorry for the confusion. I actually mean rolled oats. I like old fashioned rolled oats, but you could use quick rolled oats in this recipe too. Have fun making the bread!

4. Mary says:

Thank you for the quick response. The bread turned out beautifully! It has the complex flavor that comes with a slow rise, is very tender but not too soft, and the crust is gorgeous. The oven bloom was amazing! I used 8×4 metal pans, and have two tall, lovely loaves of bread.

• Mary, I am glad that you had a good result. I just LOVE this recipe! Good to know that it works just as well with regular loaf pans. Thanks for sharing your results.
      Renee

5. Jamie says:

Delicious. Thank you for sharing. I had leftover cooked oats in the fridge, so used those up in here.

6. […] You will find the recipe for Best Ever Sourdough Oatmeal Bread here. […]

7. David says:

I’m trying this recipe right now, so excited. Should it work fine when making a round loaf on a flat pan, rather than in a loaf pan? Or are the sides necessary? Thanks!

8. Jane Parry says:

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe, I made a loaf of it yesterday, but using wholemeal flour instead of unbleached white, and a little less honey, and it is absolutely delicious. It’s definitely going to be a regular addition to my range of breads.

• renee@seedtopantry.com says:

Jane, glad to hear that the recipe worked with whole grain flour as well as white. I have made it with Kamut with good results too.

Renee

9. eberhard says:

I presume that the sourdough starter is made of rye flour at 100% hydration or am I wrong?
    Looking forward to your reply as I would like to have a go at it.
    Many thanks in advance!

• renee@seedtopantry.com says:

I usually make my starter with 50 – 75% hydration. But if you prefer a 100% starter, I am sure it will still work. This recipe is very forgiving. Let me know how it works out for you!

Renee

10. Marjorie says:

I’m new to sourdough baking, and before now I have created a curling stone, five hockey pucks and a few baseball bats. This oatmeal sourdough bread is FANTASTIC! WooHoo! Success! It rose well, had great texture and flavor. I’ve eaten way more than my share. I made it in a round on a flat pan with a Silpat. Worked great. Thanks!

• renee@seedtopantry.com says:

Marjorie, so glad this recipe worked for you! Don’t despair, we have all made our fair share of “hardware.”

Renee

11. Lara says:

This bread was fantastic! We started eating it as soon as it came out the oven, although we knew we should wait a few hours for the flavour to really develop. Luckily there was still some left as indeed, it got even better. I did struggle to ‘knead’ it as it is such a wet dough. I just sort of swirled and stretched it around the bowl and added a handful more flour – it came out perfectly but I’m interested to know what the correct technique is for kneding such a wet dough? Thanks!

• renee@seedtopantry.com says:

Lara, sorry for the late reply. I received a “Christmas spam crush” and your comment got lost in the middle! The easiest way to knead really soft dough is to use a stand mixer, but feel free to add extra flour if you necessary for handling. Flour amounts are always just an estimate anyway. How much you really need depends on your geographic location, the amount of moisture in the air, technique, etc. Just be sure to add as little extra flour as possible. Glad it turned out yummy!
      Renee

12. Lisa says:

Wanting a new sourdough starter recipe, I saw this one and loved the idea that there was no yeast involved (I’ve seemed to mess up my last few yeast breads). Although time consuming, this was the BEST bread I’ve ever made! It presented well and the taste was flavorful. I did substitute steel cut oats for quick oats (and just a touch more milk), and they added such a nice chewiness to the bread. This one will definitely be my go-to recipe when I need a sourdough starter bread.

• renee@seedtopantry.com says:

Lisa, the steel cut oats sounds good. I will have to try it sometime. Everyone seems to love this bread. The only problem – it might be a little too good! 🙂

%d bloggers like this: